Florida law provides for harsh penalties for any person convicted of a sexually motivated crime. Perhaps the most devastating requirement is that the individual register on as a sexual offender on Florida’s predator’s list. Often these cases are based solely on an accusation made by another person without any physical evidence to support the accusation. False accusations are common especially in cases involving a custody battle by parents going through a divorce.
The internet is playing a role in the prosecution of sex crimes including sexual battery, crimes against children, pornography, lascivious conduct, lewd conduct, solicitation, prosecution, rape and statutory rape. Obtaining a criminal defense attorney quickly after an accusation is often the best protection. Never speak to any law enforcement officer about any sex crime allegation, even if the charges are completely unfounded.
Melbourne Sex Crime Defense Attorney
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy are experienced in representing men and women charged with sexually motivated crimes throughout Brevard County, Florida, and the surrounding areas in Sanford in Seminole County and Orlando in Orange County, Florida.
Sex Crime Convictions under Florida Law
All sex crimes or sexual abuse offenses are punishable by severe consequences, including a requirement that you register as a “sex offender” for the rest of your life. Our Melbourne sexual abuse lawyers handle the following sex crime cases in Brevard County, Florida:
- Sexual Battery / Assault
- Sexual Molestation
- Solicitation or Prostitution
- Child Pornography
- Lewd and Lascivious Conduct
- Statutory Rape
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Juvenile Sex Crimes
Accusations of sex crimes or sexual abuse against any child or juvenile lead to drastically enhanced penalties. Act quickly to protect your rights after such an allegation. Hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer is a decision that could possibly determine the difference between your freedom and a lasting imprisonment term including being registered as a sexual offender throughout your lifespan.
Sex Crimes Information Center
- Never Talk to Law Enforcement About Sex Crime Allegations
- Potential Penalties for Sexual Motivated Crimes
- Defense Strategies in Sex Crimes Cases
If you are being charged with a sexual crime and you are contacted a law enforcement agency and/or the Department of Children and Families (DCF) in regards to an allegation of sexual battery, sexual assault, sexual abuse, child abuse, lewd or lascivious conduct, or others forms of alleged sexual misconduct, you should speak with a competent Brevard County criminal attorney prior to releasing any statements.
Sex crime penalties provided for sex offenses by the State of Florida are exceptionally harsh. Occasionally, sex crime offenders may be denied bond if arrested. Once you are accused of a sexual crime it is important to understand that you will have a single opportunity to defend yourself, contact the Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy today. The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy, we are skilled in representing and defending clients against sex crimes allegations throughout Brevard County and the surrounding areas in central Florida.
Sex crimes convictions are punishable by two types of serious penalties:
- Criminal Penalties include the following direct consequences:
- Imprisonment in jail or Florida State Prison;
- Probation or Community Control Conditions;
- Sex Offender Counseling;
- Fines, Court Costs, Fees, Costs of Supervision, Cost of Investigation, Cost of Prosecution; and
- Sex Offender Registration.
- Societal Ignominy including the following indirect consequences of an arrest or prosecution even if the charges are ultimately proven to be unfounded:
- Damage to Reputation;
- Loss of Employment and career opportunities; and
- Estrangement from family.
Penalties for even a misdemeanor sex crime, such as indecent exposure, may be jail time of less than a year or probation, fines and community service. Penalties for a felony sex crimes, such as aggravated sexual assault, can result in a long prison term followed by a lifetime of being a registered sex offender. If your job requires a special license or a security clearance, you may find that your job will be impacted by a sex crime conviction.
- If photos, computer files, or other materials were confiscated from you, was the search and seizure properly handled by the police? If not, that evidence may not be admissible against you because of any Fourth Amendment violation.
- Individuals bring false charges of sexual assault to cover up consensual sex if it would be damaging to the person’s family.
- False memory syndrome can come into play when children make allegations that they have been victimized. The questions parents, teachers, therapists or police ask a child can cause the child to say and remember things that didn’t really occur.
- False charges can also be brought to seek revenge against the accused person.
The Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy | Sex Crime Defense Lawyer
Our Melbourne criminal defense attorneys will evaluate the evidence and details of your case. In the process of preparing a defense strategy for you, we may also inspect the psychological concerns affecting you.
We strive to minimize the consequences of your sex crime charge or conviction to get the best possible outcome, given the facts of your case. The Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy handles Sex Crimes & Sexual Abuse in Brevard County, Volusia County, Seminole County, Orange County, Osceola County, and Indian River County, FL.