The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy in Melbourne, Florida, are knowledgeable in defending drug-related crimes. Our attorneys are dedicated to fighting for our clients. We recommend that you contact an attorney as early as possible in your case so that all avenues of attacking the charges are available. If you are facing criminal drug charges, then act now to consult with an attorney to aggressively fight the charges against you for the lowest possible sentencing.
Melbourne Drug Lawyer
There is a distinction between federal drug charges and those on the state level. In Florida, there are several drug crimes that are indicted in state court. A person detained for a drug-related crime can be charged with any of the following:
- Possession of Controlled Substance
- Possession with Intent to Sell
- Distribution and Manufacturing
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Drug Trafficking
- Prescription Drug Charges
- Marijuana Charges
- Misdemeanor Possession of Marijuana
- Felony Possession of Marijuana
- Cultivation / Grow House
- Trafficking in Cannabis
We believe that in many drug cases prosecuted in Brevard County, your attorney can effective fight the charges by filing motions to suppress the evidence and motions to dismiss the criminal charges. Contact us for a free evaluation to discuss whether the search was reasonable, whether your Miranda rights were violated, or whether the State Attorney’s Office may have insufficient evidence of possession of the drugs to successfully prosecute the case.
Drug Information Center
- Indirect Consequences of a Drug Charge in Florida
- Penalties for Drug Offenses under Florida Law
- Defense for Drug Cases in Florida
Any arrest for a drug offense is serious. Even a conviction for possession of marijuana carries with it a two-year suspension of your driver’s license. Any felony offense carries even more serious and life changing consequences. Even if the charges are ultimately dropped, just the fact that you were arrested carries with it certain consequences that can impact your career and educational opportunities.
Under Florida law, any drug offense conviction could potentially have harsh penalties, including the following:
- require a mandatory two-year driver’s license suspension for any drug conviction;
- negatively affect your employment opportunities, military career, or academic status;
- cause you to be ineligible to have your criminal record sealed if you are convicted of any drug crime;
- cause you to be ineligible to have your criminal record expunged if you are placed on probation for any drug offense;
- cause you to be sentenced to jail or prison time;
- require you to perform community service while being placed on probation;
- subject you to random drug testing; and
- force you to attend substance-abuse evaluations and follow-up treatment.
The harshness of the sentencing for drug convictions range from less serious sanctions for possession of an illegal substance to severe sanctions required by law for serious offenses like drug selling or trafficking. The conviction and the consequences required by law enforcement agencies and state prosecutors for drug crimes differ dependent on the following factors:
- the category, volume, and packaging of the illegal substance;
- whether the suspect was carrying a weapon; and
- if the individual is charged in state or federal court.
Also, the penalties or sentencing for a drug offense can range from a diversion drug program to probation and, in severe cases, state or federal imprisonment.
Universally controlled substances for which seizures are made throughout Melbourne, Brevard County, and throughout the entire eastern and central Florida area include:
- Oxycodone (Tylox, Endocet, Percocet)
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy, MDMA)
- Cannabis (marijuana, weed, chronic, bud, ganja, pot).
Controlled substances can also include:
- Methamphetamines (crystal meth)
- Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD, acid)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Psilocybin (mushrooms)
It is also unlawful to own or trade medicine anesthetics or amphetamines without a prescription such as:
In Melbourne, Brevard County and throughout the entire Florida area, drug crimes are aggressively prosecuted in federal and state courts. Florida’s administration is cognizant of the bulk number of drug crimes committed day-to-day. Individuals charged with any drug offense should contact the Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy for skilled and experienced representation.
Due to the firm and harsh penalties for drug-related convictions, hiring a criminal defense attorney can be a life changing decision. The Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy are experienced fighting drug offense throughout Brevard County and the surrounding areas. Call us to discuss important defenses that may apply to your case.
Potential defenses for drug crimes include:
- insufficient evidence to prove actual or constructive possession;
- mistaken identity;
- lack of intent;
- failure to read Miranda warnings prior to interrogation;
- constitutional issues and unreasonable searches;
- illegal seizures; and
- alibi defenses.
Florida Drug Resources
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition / LEAP – LEAP is a nonprofit organization made up of current and former members law enforcement and criminal justice professionals who are speaking out about the failures of drug prohibition policies.
- Melbourne, Florida Drug Treatment Programs– Access this link for resources including a directory of drug treatment programs throughout Florida, including Melbourne, Florida.
- Melbourne, Florida Inpatient Drug and Alcohol Rehab Programs– Access this link for resources including a directory of inpatient drug and alcohol rehab programs throughout Florida, including Melbourne, Florida.
- Florida Substance Abuse Treatment– Access the link for a directory of alcohol and drug treatment programs in Florida.
Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy | Brevard County Drug Attorney
If you were arrested in Melbourne, Viera, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, or Satellite Beach in Brevard County, Volusia County, Seminole County, Osceola County, Indian River County or Orange County and you are in need of a drug crime lawyer, let our criminal defense attorneys represent your drug offense related case.
The Law Offices of Germain & McCarthy extensive background knowledge in dealing with the State of Florida drug laws will be beneficial in our approach to aggressively defend you. Provide us with the specific details of your case in our online form or call today, (321) 253-3447.